Saint Mary Maggiore [ X secolo ]

Saint Mary Maggiore
Saint Mary Maggiore Saint Mary Maggiore

Saint Mary Maggiore

Story of the church

The mother church of Saint Mary Maggiore was built in the second half of the X century by The Mauresi, the followers of Saint Mauro and was dedicated to the cult of Saint Mary of the Assumption of Platea. It underwent a lot of changes in the centuries. In 1329 Count Ruggero Sangineto had it rebuilt. The work of restoration of 1744, wanted by Archpriest Francesco Maria Malavolti , gave the church the present shapes.
The inside of the church is aisleless, with three side chapels on the left.
The church keeps a lot of works, among which a painting of the XVII c. attributed to painter Cesare Fracanzano (Saint Agata in jail), a series of paintings of the XVIIIc. of painter Pietro Costantini from Serra San Bruno, a stately organ of 1757, the font of 1782 and the carved wooden pulpit of the end of the XVIII c. The carved wooden choir, of the last quarter of the XVIII c. was made by Agostino Fusco, a cabinet maker from Morano Calabro. The sacristy, made with carved wooden and golden furnishing , hosts one of the richest and oldest ecclesiastical archives of the town.

Other churches in the town of Corigliano