Our lady of schiavonea [ 1665 ]


Our lady of schiavonea
Our lady of schiavonea Our lady of schiavonea

Our lady of schiavonea Our lady of schiavonea

Story of the church

In 1649, further to a miraculous apparition , the building of the sanctuary of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Schiavonea began , in substitution of the church dedicated to Saint Leonard.
The sanctuary was consecrated in 1665. The interior of the church was decorated under the rectorate of Carlo M. Saluzzo, who around the end of the seventeenth century, enriched the church with wonderful polychromatic marbles . One of these is the high altar , where the portrait of the Virgin Mary is kept. This painting of 1650 was, according to the tradition, commissioned to Antonello Ruffo by the Virgin herself, who chose the title and also asked to place the painting in Saint Leonardís Church. The painting was later covered with a blue cloth and with an embossed silver cloak , uncovering only the face. This covering reproduces the pose of the hidden figure.

Other churches in the town of Corigliano